Tuesday, March 4, 2008




I tend to avoid taking a political stand on my blog. Folks in my real world are forced to listen to my rants but why would an opinion of a crazy, perpetually PMSing liberal mean shit to you kids?

Why indeed.

Always having to be the little rebel, I am surrounded by right wing Republicans. My family and I keep the peace by avoiding any talk beyond the weather and I even think THAT is GWs fault.

However, there is something that is REALLY pissing me off even though it isn't a new issue by any means. As if I am not embarrassed enough living in the state of the hanging chads and the transition to a color in the dot you fucking moron system of voting;

Now Florida residents will get to vote in November on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

The group, Florida4Marriage, collected 649,000 signatures to get the issue on the ballot this year. This group of right wing fucktards with too much time on their hands are so pissed off that this ban failed in Congress in 2006 that they decided they need to handle this within state lines so that Mr. and Mr. John Smith don't buy the 3/2 next door.

The concept of not denying people their rights unless you can show a compelling reason to deny them is the very basis of the American ideal of human rights. Yet, over SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND of my fellow Floridians think that BANNING personal choices is the American way.
Of course we aren't alone by any means. Currently 26 states have amendments specifically banning gay marriage and citing that marriage must be between a man and a woman.

I am not a close minded person and have listened to the arguments for this ban. The one I hear over and over is the Big Guy doesn't like it. Believe it or not, this is the only argument I view as moderately reasonable.

People's spiritual beliefs are very important to them. It is that personal logic that dictates how the religious see the world and how they want the world to see them.

In other words, if you live your life believing the good book, thou shall not bring a gift and do the chicken dance at Mary and Jane's wedding seems reasonable. It is pretty clearly written in black and white right there next to the part about it not being a good idea to have an intimate relationship with Rover.

However, not everyone else practices religion and that whole argument seems to stomp all over this pesky little Constitutional phrase....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

As a straight woman that has failed at two marriages, I don't feel the least bit threatened that a same sex union would somehow make my commitments have less value. I managed to assure my marriages had no value all by myself.

My point is this...

If you strongly believe that people of the same sex shouldn't marry, then don't marry someone of your same sex.

But please stop signing petitions that limit the rights of United States citizens.

It is making me cranky.



















10 comments:

Special K said...

Stands up cheering, clapping and nodding head in agreement.
I especially love it when the atheist sign those petitions because, then, that is just being MEAN at least the right wing religious freaks honestly think (in their warped minds) that they are protecting their beliefs.

Aw, nevermind, they are all assholes.

And GW is totally to blame for my foot of snow and broken trees. I bet he will blame it on something NUCLEAR though, well, if he could pronounce it.

Coffeypot said...

True love is hard enough to find, and if it comes along in the shape and form of someone of your sex, well, it simply cannot be wrong. It's not for me, mind you. I think that sex with another man would be a pain in the ass. That's what my gay brother tells me anyway.

Libby said...

good 'diatribe', chris!! i wish EVERYONE would read it & live it!!

Eunice said...

Amen to that!

My favorite is how much people want separation of church and state, yet the first thing that is used as "support" for these arguments is always, "because that's what God wants." It's just because their feeble minds can't come up with a reasonable argument and they assume that no one will challenge God.

Burfica said...

god I agree. Now I am a christian and read the bible, but I firmly believe that god wouldn't make people in a certain way if he didn't love them no matter what. And all those people that are against it. What about the Thou shalt not Judge part.

I'm not here to judge anyone (unless it's a baby murderer or elderly abuser then I will willingly kill them as I judge them)

So...I just think everyone should shut up and try to love their neighbor, and be a good person. When they are perfect they can dictate about other people.

Unknown said...

Well reasoned and passionately presented... Being one of those "Christians," I do believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That is the way my wife and I practice it. Seems to work for us. However, when I looked in the mirror this morning I again determined that I am not God. Therefore, I have no authority to declare than any other type of "union" is to be judged as unacceptable since it has no bearing on how my wife and I live our lives. Since "gay couples" are not asking me to join in a trifecta, I am contented and comfortable to say "live and let live." See...not all "Christians" are raving maniacs...and most are rasonable people. Our faith embraces the premises that we are to love our brothers (and sisters) as ourselves. You can translate that directive also into "respect"
for other people and their life styles. As long as people don't try to be overbearing and enforce their lifestyle on me, I'm certianly not going to enforce my choice of lifestyle on them. They, like the majority of Americans, just want to live their lives in peace and so do I. Seems like a pretty good formula for "getting along." That having been said, can we still be friends?

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Cranky, huh? Boy is that a good word. I, too, think they're mininterpreting Big Ernie, but it has never bothered them before so why should it now?

Summer said...

It's me Summer. I sent you an email. If you don't get it, let me know. I hate the yahoo word verification crap! Glad you're doing well!

egan said...

Just found your blog via Dodger Chick's. I love that you chose this topic. This is a topic very near and dear to my heart. It really pisses me off that others can be so worked by this. It's not at all surprising this appears on the ballot in 2008 just like in 2004. I think 21 states had it on the ballot that year to get the hardcore Republicans to turn out. As if there should be an incentive.

Great topic. One more thing, Heath Ledger played a gay character, this does NOT mean he's gay. When will this country progress?

Special K said...

Jim I just have to say you are not in my right wing religious freak category then.
You are a live and let live Christian and they are a-ok in my book, just like Burfica.
The ones that drive me nuts are the ones that think "their way" is the only way, the right way and think it should be law and forced upon others.
That is the highest form of narcissicm there is.